Whether you are looking to chill out and read a book, whilst nursing a G and T, or something more active, there is plenty to pick from. Check out our recommendations below.
Marbury Camp and Lodge is right on a national cycle route (route 47) which is frequently used by leisure riders and more serious people in lycra. If you feel like going a little further afield, head out to Cholmondeley Castle and meet up with the Sandstone Trail.
We also offer (subject to advanced booking):
- Cycle drop off/pick up (for those little pub trips/punctures)
- Cycle storage
- Cycle repairs
- Family cycle hire
- Distance: 0 miles
- Cost: £
- For more info: Speak to us in reception and we’ll furnish you with a map of the local cycle routes or visit http://adapt.audlem.org/maps.html
Narrow Boat Hire
Marbury Camp and Lodge is situated near to Wrenbury Marina and Whitchurch Marina where longboats can be hired for day trips or long relaxing weekends.
- Distance: 3-5 miles
- Cost: £££
- For more info : Visit https://www.wrenburymill.com/
Shopping your thing? If you just need to pick up something for tea, look no further than the local Wrenbury Village General Store and Post Office. They sell all the usual goods together with breakfast rolls and coffee (rushed morning essentials). If you are looking for general superstores, we have a Lidl, Sainsburys and Tesco nearby in Whitchurch.
If you are looking for a day out shopping, we would recommend one of the following:
- Whitchurch (3 miles) – Local medieval market town. Markets on Friday and Artisan Markets once a month. Plenty to see and places to eat. We particularly recommend Benjamins Deli for lunch or Etzio’s Italian Cafe….yum!
- Nantwich (8 miles) – Local Roman market town. Traditional Market held on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Farmers’ Market held of the last Saturday of the month. There are also a number of specialist markets such as the Antique Market and Artisan Markets on different days. Check out the Nantwich Town Council website for more information. Recommend The Crown Hotel Bar and Grill for Sunday Lunch.
- Crewe (14 miles) – Local city and transport hub. Can find anything and everything here.
Can’t resist a glass of bubbly (not the bath variety) and a scone (or twelve), look no further than:
- McDonald Hill Valley Hotel (3 miles); or
- Alderford Lake Cafe (5 miles).
Golf and Spa
Smacking your balls as hard as you can whilst wearing trousers made of used tea towels more your thing, check out McDonald Hill Valley Hotel. They also have a full gymnasium, sauna, steam room and spa facilities.
- Distance: 3 miles
- Cost: ££
- For more info : Visit http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/our-hotels/macdonald-hill-valley-spa-hotel-golf
Whether your a seasoned bank-raider or a newbie looking to try clay pigeon shooting, we recommend Mickley Hall Shooting School and Range.
- Distance: 4 miles
- Cost: ££
- For more info : https://mickleyhall.com/
It’s Cheshire, it’s the countryside. Needless to say there are literally loads of great walks where you can see follies, watch the hot air balloons, look over the Cheshire plains…or our personal favourite, ‘go the pub’ (any one of the three pubs in walking distance). Happy to recommend a walk to suit your needs when you arrive on site.
We also thoroughly recommend spending an hour walking on the Sandstone Trail at Bickerton Hill. There are some truly spectacular views over the surrounding countryside. Bickerton Hill is a short 20 minute drive from our site.
If you fancy a balloon ride, Virgin Balloons operate from Whitchurch Rugby Ground, less than 5 miles away.
Check out https://www.virginballoonflights.co.uk for more information.
Alternatively, if you fancy strapping yourself to a professional lunatic and jumping from a perfectly good aeroplane, check out Tilstock Skydive at http://www.skydivetilstock.co.uk/
Places of Historical Interest
- Cholmondeley Castle
- Beeston Castle (9 miles)
- Combermere Abbey (1 mile) – https://combermereabbey.co.uk/
- Hack Green Secret Nuclear Bunker (4 miles)
- St Margaret’s Grade II Lister Church, Wrenbury (2 miles)
- Whitchurch Medieval Market Town including the Whitchurch
- Heritage Centre and St Alkmunds Georgian Church (4 miles)
- Nantwich Roman Market Town (8 miles)
Places to Eat
- The Swan at Marbury – British Cuisine (2.3 miles) – Recently refurbished local village pub; less than 5-minute drive; or reachable within walking distance (30-minutes) of the site. Nice to sit outside with a glass of wine – www.swanatmarbury.co.uk
- The Cotton Arms – British Cuisine (2.1 miles) – Real traditional pub within walking (45-minutes) distance of the site, albeit further than the Swan – www.cottonarmswrenbury.co.uk
- The Dusty Miller – British Cuisine (2.2 miles) – We’d call this a ‘chain’ pub as it’s owned by Robinsons, but we’ve had some good meals here and the setting on the canal is beautiful. Also does breakfast…
- The Bhurtpore Inn – British and Indian Cuisine and Cheshire CAMRA Pub of the Year 2018 and South Cheshire CAMRA Pub of the Year 2017 & 2018 (2.6 miles) – Dave’s favourite, combining more real ale than you could try in a week, roaring fires and some of the best curries for miles around – www.bhurtpore.co.uk
- The Cholmondeley Arms – British Cuisine and Gin Specialist (5.5 miles) – Em’s personal favourite. Bit more of a fancy pub, but the food is well priced and exquisite. Definitely recommend the sharing platters and any one of the 365 gins on offer (can book organised gin tasting masterclass … what better way to spend an afternoon) – www.cholmondeleyarms.co.uk
- Etzio’s – Italian Cuisine – Whitchurch Town (4.1 miles) best pizzas and wine for miles around. Highly recommended.
- Spice Heaven – Indian Cuisine (3.8 miles) – Literally the best ‘curry house’ we’ve had and offers a ‘tenner a head’ buffet certain nights of the week. Never fails.
- Benjamins Deli and Cafe – British Cuisine (4 miles) – Want something healthy for lunch and/or a nice breakfast or brunch, we definitely recommend this one. Salads, wines, panninis, coffees, cheese, beer, bread, you name it, they do it. Where do you think we get the hampers from?
- Simply Thai – Thai Cuisine (4.4 miles) – Bit pricey, but well worth the money. Recommend the massaman curry. Yum!
- Willeymoor Lock Tavern – British Cuisine (5.8 miles) – Very moderately priced traditional pub on the canal. Good selection of beers too.
Corporate events and bespoke activity days
Want to arrange a corporate event and can’t be arsed to cost something up? We’ll have a look for you.
An example activity day could include:
- Arrival on site
- Landrover off road experience in the morning
- Buffet lunch
- Clay pigeon shooting in the afternoon
- Pub dinner
- Camping in tepees
- Breakfast on site
- Transport included and fees can be collected individually
Swimming (indoor and outdoor) and watersports
Whitchurch Swimming Pool offers indoor swimming within 4 miles of the site. If you are brave enough (and own a wet suit) we recommend Alderford Lake for open air swimming less than 5 miles away.
If you have your own boat or kayak, you can paddle there as well. We can arrange boat hire if necessary.
Want to learn to ride a horse, we recommend Springbank Riding School a mere 3 miles from the site.
Depending upon numbers, we do have a local kayaking tutor with more qualifications after his name than a Tory Peer. Please speak with us to see if we can arrange a guided group kayaking tour for you.